The LIFX plugin is developed by a community contributor. Environexus will provide support where possible but can not guarantee fixes or changes to the plugin.
LIFX produces a wide range of colourful light solutions. Once your LIFX lights are working on your WiFi and in their own app, you can connect them to Nero to make them a part of your whole home automation solution.
Install the LIFX app
Ensure you have your LIFX system working fully from the LIFX app before proceeding with these steps.
There are several LIFX apps in the community app store. We recommend using the one highlighted below as it has significantly better performance and is regularly updated by the creator.
- Connect to your Nero controller via the web browser. This process can not be completed from the mobile apps.
- Navigate to Apps and then Install Apps.
- Search for 'LIFX' in the search bar. 2 similar apps will show up, click on the one highlighted below.
- Install the plugin and wait until the dialogue says it is now safe to exit this screen. Do no exist this screen or close the browser window until you see this message.
Connect Nero to LIFX
These steps will require that you can log in to the LIFX Cloud Dashboard to generate an API key. Ensure you have these details available before you proceed.
Get a LIFX access token
- Open the LIFX Cloud Dashboard at https://cloud.lifx.com/ and login with your LIFX account. You need to log in with the same account you used to register the LIFX lights in the LIFX app.
- In the top right, select your account name and then Personal access tokens.
- Click the Generate New Token button and name it something meaningful, like Nero Gateway, and click Generate.
- Copy the generated token. DO NOT close this window until you have copied this token to the Nero app interface as you can not retrieve this code again.
Connect the LIFX app to the LIFX cloud
- Navigate to the Nero device list and locate the Lifx Plugin device. Open the device page by clicking the green arrow.
- Click Settings and a page with an input box for the API key should appear. If it doesn't appear, you may need to refresh your browser window.
- Paste the API key you got from the LIFX website into the API Key field.
- Click List Devices. All the devices and groups you have created will appear in the list. If any don't appear, ensure it is properly configured and synchronised with the LIFX account that you have created the API key for.
- Check the box for the lights you want to show in Nero and then click Sync Selection.
- Return to the Devices page and you should see your LIFX lights in the No Room group.
- If your devices aren't showing, refresh the browser to ensure your view is up to date.
Speed up the control messages
By default, the plugin communicates with the bulbs via the LIFX cloud. This can cause some significant delays between triggering an action and the light reflecting that state. Nero can communicate with individual bulbs via the local network by changing the plugin variables.
Groups must always be interacted with via the LIFX cloud. Changing this variable will not, unfortunately, improve the speed of groups reacting to your commands.
- Locate the Lifx Plugin device. Open the device page by clicking the green arrow.
- Select Advanced and then the Variables tab.
- Locate the USE_LOCAL variable click Edit and then enter true in the text box. Click Save.
After a few moments, you should be able to interact with your LIFX bulbs at near-instant speeds.